As part of the Be RICEponsible advocacy campaign of the Department of Agriculture, all DA offices are hereby required to participate in the #BROWN4good Challenge. The #BROWN4good challenge is a social media propaganda that aims to encourage more Filipinos to eat brown (unpolished) rice regularly in order to get and give the following goodness:
- Goodness to the consumer. Brown rice is nutritionally superior in terms of protein; dietary fiber; B1 B2 and B9 vitamins and Vitamin E; minerals; and antioxidants. It helps reduce the incidence of Type 2 diabetes, cancer and cardiovascular diseases; lower blood pressure. It also reduce the chance of overeating
- Goodness to the farmers. Farmers could double their income because they will be able to directly market their rice to food establishments and retailers. On the other hand, consumers would be able to buy it at a lower price
- Goodness to the country. It can help achieve rice self-sufficiency because of its 10% higher milling recovery.
- Goodness to other Filipinos. For every challenge completed, DA will feed one less fortunate Filipino with brown rice.
The #BROWN4good challenge will run from August 30 to October 31, 2016 and you are expected to participate through the following:
- Launch the activity in your offices during the lunchtime of August 31, 2016 and starting your #BROWN4good challenge networks among family members, friends and colleagues.
To take on the #BROWN4good challenge, cook at home or order brown rice from your favorite food establishments, snap a photo of the meal, post it on social media (facebook, twitter or instagram), caption it with #BROWN4good and #(your region), and challenge family and friends to do the same. For every #BROWN4good quoted per region, DA will donate a cup of raw brown rice to help feed less fortunate Filipinos in diffrent charities nationwide. To be counted, however, the account and post must be public.
Make your hashtags count; do four goodness by eating a cup of brown rice